This Palm Tree block just might be my favorite! Then again, the Flamingo Block that inspired it all was pretty good … and it wouldn’t be the same without the Pineapple Block … and who doesn’t love Flip Flop weather. Dang, they are all good! All four blocks together make a pretty trendy, bright and fun summer lapghan.
After you finish the Palm Tree Block you will have completed all four blocks of this corner to corner lap blanket. If you are just getting started on your “Flocking to the Beach” Afghan, make sure you click the links above and get hooking! Summer is coming! After this I will write a post on how I stitched them together and show you how to make the special pineapple stitch border I gave a sneak peek of on my Instagram. I’m even toying around with the idea of doing my first video to show you how easy the border really is.
This is a free pattern, but please do not share this pattern as your own. You may make items to sell with this pattern, in exchange, please link back to this post. Do not use my photos as your own sales photos. Please feel free to tag CoffeeandCrochetGoals to share your completed projects.
The finished c2c graph is 15in x 15in and with the border ended 17in x 17in.
- Color 1: Petal Pink, Red Heart Super Savor, 1 skein
- Color 2: Spring Green, Red Heart Super Savor, 1 skein
- Color 3: Turqua, Red Heart Super Savor, 1 skein
- Color 4: Bright Yellow, Red Heart Super Savor, 1 skein
- Color 5: Taupe Mist in Lion Brand, Vanna’s Choice Yarn (but any brown will do, I had this in my left over stash)
- Color 6: White, Red Heart Super Savor, 1 skein
- Size I (5.25mm) crochet hook
- C2C Palm Tree Graph or Word Chart
- Tapestry Needle
- SC – Single Crochet
- DC – Double Crochet
- SK – Skip Stitch
- CH – Chain
- SL ST – Slip Stitch
FOR THE WORD CHART:
- P = Petal Pink, Red Heart Yarn
- G = Spring Green, Red Heart Yarn
- T= Turqua, Red Heart Yarn
- B = Taupe Mist, Lion Brand Yarn
- Y = Bright Yellow, Red Heart Yarn
WORD CHART FOR PALM TREE BLOCK
- 1P, 1T, 2P
- 2P, 1G, 1T, 1P
- 1P, 1T, 4P
- 5P, 1T, 1P
- 2P, 1G, 1P, 3T, 1P
- 1P, 3G, 2T, 1G, 2P
- 3P, 1G, 1T, 1G, 4P
- 5P, 1G, 1T, 1G, 3P
- 1P, 3T, 1B, 1G, 3B, 3P
- 2P, 5B, 2T, 2G, 1T, 1P
- 1P, 1T, 2G, 1T, 2G, 5B, 2P
- 2P, 3B, 1P, 1B, 1G, 1T, 1G, 1T, 2G, 2P
- 2P, 1G, 2P, 1G, 1B, 1G, 3P, 3B, 2P
- 3P, 2B, 3P, 1G, 1T, 2G, 1P, 1G, 1T, 2P
- 3P, 1G, 1P, 1T, 1G, 1P, 1T, 1G, 3P, 2B, 3P
- 3P, 2B, 2P, 2G, 1T, 2P, 1G, 1P, 1G, 1T, 3P
- 4P, 1G, 1P, 1T, 1G, 2P, 2T, 3P, 2B, 2P, 1Y ////////////////START DECREASING IN SQUARE//////////////////////
- 2Y, 3B, 7P, 1G, 1P, 1G, 1T, 3P
- 3P, 1T, 1G, 1T, 8P, 2B, 2Y
- 1Y, 2B, 8P, 1T, 1P, 1T, 3P
- 13P, 3B
- 2B, 1Y, 12P
- 11P, 1Y, 2B
- 1B, 2Y, 10P
- 10P, 1Y, 1B
- 1B, 1Y, 9P
- 8P, 2Y
- 2Y, 7P
- 6P, 2Y
- 1Y, 6P
- 5P, 1Y
- 1Y, 4P
- 3P, 1Y
After completing the block, you will need to weave in those loose ends. Then we will add a solid border in white around each block. With your hook attach the white yarn.
R1: SC around the entire square. Each pixel or tile will have 3 SC (1 in the space between tiles and 2 in the tile itself). This will give you a nice even border around your graph. In the corner spaces 1SC, CH3, 1SC. When you have completed the round SL ST to the first SC and CH1.
R2: 1SC into the same stitch. CH1, SK1 and 1SC into the next stitch. Continue all around the square in the 1SC, CH1, SK1, 1SC pattern. In each corner 1SC, CH3, 1SC. When you have completed the round SL ST to the first SC and CH1.
R3: Repeat round 2. Cut and tie off white yarn.
I hope you have been following along with us and are done with all four of your “Flocking to the Beach” blocks. You can also catch those blocks here: Flocking to the Beach – Flip Flop Block –, Flocking to the Beach — Flamingo Block — and Flocking to the Beach —Pineapple Block—. Next week I will show you how to stitch them together and add our fun pineapple stitch border! Follow CoffeeandCrochetGoals on Instagram to get sneak peak of the border! Here is to smashing some CrochetGoals!