Earlier this week I gave my social media followers a sneak peak at the first block in my newest Corner-to-corner (C2C) afghan: Flocking to the Beach. Our oldest toddler is turning four next week and after debating between unicorns or flamingos for months we finally landed on a fun flamingo and pineapple themed party in the park.
I didn’t realize how trendy my almost fournager was and as I was laying out all the goodies we had found I was loving the color combinations … that just happened to match perfectly to some of the colors in my stash. Well, as you can easily imagine, I HAD to make her a new blanket for her birthday to match her summer vibe party.
Lately, I have been challenging myself with multiple color changes. This block may be a bit of a challenge for a beginner, but the graph is only 20 x 20 pixels so it does work up quickly. A fun tip I can share with you when using so many colors and multiple strands of each is to use clothes pins to hold your yarn in place. You wont get it twisted and can easily drop your project to chase those crazy toddlers.
I have decided to make this a fun multi block afghan instead of the standard single image C2C blanket. I will be releasing a new block every week, with pictures, graph and word chart. I hope that you will work along with me and don’t forget to tag #CoffeeandCrochetGoals with your blocks and finished projects. After all four blocks are complete I will sew them together and show you the fun surprise stitch I will be using for the border. I hope you have as much fun as I did making this blanket.
This is a free pattern, but please do not share this pattern as your own. You may make items to sell with this pattern, in exchange, please link back to this post. Do not use my photos as your own sales photos. Please feel free to tag CoffeeandCrochetGoals to share your completed projects.
The finished graph is 15in x 15in and with the border ended at 17in x 17in
- Color 1: Turqua, Red Heart Super Saver, 1 skein.
- Color 2: Bright Yellow, Red Heart Super Saver Yarn, 1 skein.
- Color 3: Spring Green, Red Heart Super Saver Yarn, 1 skein.
- Size I (5.25mm) crochet hook
- C2C Pineapple Graph or Word Chart
- Tapestry needle
- SC – single crochet
- DC – Double crochet
- SK – Skip stitch
- CH – Chain
- SL ST – Slip stitch
FOR THE WORD CHART
- B = Turqua Red Heart Yarn
- Y = Bright Yellow Red Heart Yarn
- G = Spring Green Red Heart Yarn
WORD CHART FOR PINEAPPLE BLOCK
11. 2B, 2Y, 7B
12. 1G, 3B, 2Y, 1B, 3Y, 1B, 1Y
13. 1Y, 2B, 2Y, 2B, 2Y, 2B, 2G
14. 1B, 2G, 2B, 1Y, 1B, 1Y, 1B, 1Y, 1B, 1Y, 1B, 1Y
15. 2B, 2Y, 2B, 2Y, 3B, 4G
16. 4G, 1B, 1Y, 1B, 3Y, 1B, 3Y, 1B, 1Y
17. 1Y, 2B, 2Y, 2B, 2Y, 1B, 1Y, 1B, 4G, 1B
18. 3B, 3G, 2Y, 1B, 1Y, 1B, 1Y, 1B, 1Y, 1B, 1Y, 1B, 1Y
19. 2B, 2Y, 2B,2Y, 2B, 2Y, 1B, 6G
20. 7G, 3Y, 1B, 3Y, 1B, 3Y, 1B, 1Y
//////// START DECREASE IN SQUARE /////////
21. 2B, 2Y, 2B, 2Y, 2B, 2Y, 1B, 6G
22. 3B, 3G, 2Y, 1B, 1Y, 1B, 1Y, 1B, 1Y, 1B, 1Y, 1B, 1Y
23. 1Y, 2B, 2Y, 2B, 2Y, 1B, 1Y, 1B, 4G, 1B
24. 4G, 1B, 1Y, 1B, 3Y, 1B, 3Y, 1B, 1Y
25. 2B, 2Y, 2B, 2Y, 3B, 4G
26. 1B, 2G, 2B, 1Y, 1B, 1Y, 1B, 1Y, 1B, 1Y, 1B, 1Y
27. 1Y, 2B, 2Y, 2B, 2Y, 2B, 2G
28. 1G, 3B, 2Y, 1B, 3Y, 1B, 1Y
29. 2B, 2Y, 7B
Sit back and enjoy an evening of tying in loose ends, because there are a few. When I finished my graph I decided I wanted to add a border to each block. With your hook attach the white yarn.
R1: SC around the entire square. Each pixel or tile will have 3 SC (1 in the space between tiles and 2 in the tile itself). This will give you a nice even border around your graph. In the corner spaces 1 SC, CH 2, 1 SC. SL ST to the first SC and CH 1.
R2: 1SC into the same stitch. CH1. SK 1 and 1SC into the next stitch. Continue all around the square in the 1SC, CH1, SK1, 1SC pattern. In the corner spaces 1SC, CH3, 1SC. SL ST to the starting SC. CH1.
R3: Repeat round 2 around the entire square and tie off yarn.
Stay tuned and follow us on Instagram to get a sneak peak of next week’s block. Here is to smashing some CrochetGoals!