For the last month I have been crocheting everything baby for all the pregnant mommies in my life, while my four year old has been waiting … “patiently” … for her turn to request a new special blanket for her bed. The current obsessions are unicorns, ballerinas and dinosaurs. I wanted to make something bold with simple color changes which makes Paddy the perfect C2C pattern for beginners.
This particular blanket was going to have some catchy B name to go with the large brachiosaurus pictured … or so I thought. My toddler quickly informed me that I was wrong and have no business naming dinosaurs, because this is actually an Apatosaurus. If you follow #CofeeandCrochetGoals on Instagram I know you have been patiently waiting to meet Paddy the purple Apatosaurus, so here is your free pattern.
This is a free pattern, but please do not share this pattern as your own. You may make items to sell with this pattern. In exchange, please link back to this post. Do not use my photos as your own sales photos. Please feel free to tag CoffeeandCrochetGoals to share your completed projects.
When finished with border this blanket is 40in X 40in. The perfect size for my large four year old to cuddle with.
For this particular blanket I used Red Heart and Caron yarn, but because it is so simple and bold feel free to try any yarn or color combination. Just make sure you tag #CoffeeandCrochetGoals with your finished projects so we can see what you come up with.
- 2 Skeins EASTER BASKET Caron Jumbo Yarn
- 1 Skein LAVENDER Red Heart Super savor
- Size I (5.5mm) crochet hook
- Paddy the Purple Apatosaurus C2C graph
- Tapestry needle
5X5 tiles = 4in X 4in
- CH – Chain
- SC – Single crochet
- DC – Double crochet
- SL ST – Slip Stitch
- Reverse SC – Reverse Single crochet or crab stitch
PADDY the Purple Apatosaurus C2C Graph (PDF)
For the border of Paddy the Purple Apatosaurus I wanted to keep things simple again, with one twist.
- Attach the purple yarn to your hook and insert it into any of the gaps between tiles. 1 SC to secure the yarn and CH 2. 1SC in the next gap between tiles and CH 2. Continue all the way around the blanket. In each corner tile you will 1 SC in the last gap between tiles and SC in the point (or corner) of the blanket CH 3 and 1 SC in the same stitch. Continue CH 2 and 1 SC into the gaps. SL ST to the top of your first 1 SC. CH 1.
- 2 SC in every CH 2 spaces and 1 SC in each SC space all around the blanket. When you get to the corners 3 SC. SL ST to the beginning. CH 1.
- To make the final round a little easier, 1 SC and CH 1 all around your blanket. When you get to the corner 3 SC in the corner stitch. CH 1
- This is the hardest round of the whole blanket, but I love the look when it is all completed. Since we did a 1 SC and CH 1 in the previous round it will be easier to see where to place your hook and give you a little wiggle room since the stitches are not tight against each other. In each SC and each CH you will be doing a reverse SC or crab stitch all around the blanket. In each corner add 3 reverse SC (Tip: hold onto the last stitch you just completed to keep the next reverse SC to the right). SL ST to the first reverse SC.
Now it is time to grab that tapestry needle and weave in the ends. We did not use many color changes in this bold C2C so its will not take long at all. I hope you have fun and happy crocheting!